Sunday, December 9, 2012

Eating Fish Poisons Your Brain

Can eating fish poison your brain?  An article describing two new reports published ahead of a United Nations conference on mercury pollution found that mercury in fish is having an adverse effect on brain function. 

“There does appear to be evidence now, fairly persuasive evidence, that adverse effects occur from {eating} normal amounts of seafood,” claimed an advisor to the World Health Organization.
Unfortunately, all of our seafood has been contaminated with mercury.  The most vulnerable individuals include children and pregnant women.  According the European Union, pregnant or breastfeeding women should not eat tuna more than twice a week.  The FDA has stated they should avoid shark, swordfish, or king mackerel.  (Global Post.  December 4, 2012)

Comment:  Mercury is the second or third most-toxic agent known to mankind.  It poisons hundreds of enzymes in the body.  Furthermore, mercury toxicity causes neurological problems such as memory decline as well as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease.  Mercury toxicity has been associated with many chronic illnesses including heart disease and heart failure. 

Should you avoid fish?  I am not sure how to answer that question.  All fish is poisoned with mercury.  However, there are benefits to eating fish.  Now, it is time for me to get off the fence:  I don’t think you need to avoid eating fish forever.  However, If you are going to eat fish, I suggest taking alpha lipoic acid (300mg) with the meal.  Alpha lipoic acid can help bind mercury and allow for its excretion.   I would advise limiting your intake of white tuna and the fish mentioned above.   One final note about sushi—sushi can contain very high mercury levels.  It should be limited and not eaten frequently.   

For years, I used to eat white tuna every day for lunch.  When I checked my mercury levels I was not happy—they were off the chart.  It took me over two years to detoxify from this high level  Needless to say, I do not eat a lot of white tuna fish anymore.   
Unfortunately, fish is not the only source of mercury we are exposed to.  Dental amalgam fillings contain 50% mercury by weight.  Flu shots still are preserved with mercury. There is absolutely NO reason to put mercury in a tooth or to inject it in your body.

For 20 years, I have tested thousands of patients for toxicities.  Unfortunately, I have found mercury toxicity affects over 75% of the patients I have checked.  A holistic health care practitioner can check you for mercury toxicity and guide you on proper detoxification techniques.


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home