Sunday, January 3, 2010

Toxic Chemicals in New Cars

An article on MSNBC (www.msnbc.msn.com on 3.21.07) reported on the toxic fumes found in new cars.  Bromine and chlorine were the most common toxic elements reportedly found in automobiles.  These elements are found in the seats, armrests, door trim and shift knobs and other areas of the car.  Think about it, you spend perhaps two hours a day in your car, with the windows rolled up and little air circulating.  It is any wonder that I have seen many patients who feel that they can become ill from exposure to the fumes in a new car?  I refer to these patients as the ‘canaries’ of our population.  Many of these patients have to undergo detoxification in order to help them cleanse from toxic items.

Bromine and chlorine are members of the halide family.  The halides are a group of elements which includes iodine.  If we are exposed to excess amounts of one halide, it will cause our body to release other halides.  My research has clearly shown that we are exposed to too much bromine and chlorine.  These elements are found in many plastic products including computers, televisions, as well as other appliances.  In addition, bromine is a fire retardant found in carpet, clothing, mattresses and many other consumer items.  The consequence of this overexposure to toxic halides has been a depletion of iodine in our bodies.  The end result of too much bromine and chlorine and not enough iodine is poorly functioning immune and glandular systems.  I believe the high rates of thyroid disorders as well as cancer of the breast, ovary and prostate are directly related to the increasing exposure to toxic halides.   I describe this in more detail in my book, Iodine Why You Need It, Why You Can’t Live Without It, 4th Edition.

Ann is a patient of mine. I had diagnosed Ann with Hashimoto’s Disease approximately three years ago.  After we treated her thyroid problem she felt much better.  I treated Ann with a combination of dietary changes as well as vitamins and minerals.  She was also prescribed iodine.   Approximately one year later, Ann came to my office complaining that all of her thyroid symptoms were back.   “I feel like I am back to square one.  I am tired, my muscles hurt and brain fog is back,” she said. 

Ann, complained that her health began going downhill when she purchased a new car.  The car dealer would not believe that a new car could cause her health concerns.  Testing found Ann severely deficient in iodine (nearly zero levels) and toxic with bromine.   Previous testing found Ann’s iodine levels were near normal.  Ann was detoxified from bromine with a combination of Vitamin C, unrefined salt, iodine, and magnesium.  I also had her do salt baths.  As Ann’s bromine levels fell and her iodine levels elevated, she began to feel better.   About 1.5 years after starting therapy, Ann felt that she had regained her health.   In fact, her thyroid blood tests now returned to normal, without the use of thyroid hormone.   Ann said, “All of my symptoms have improved.  I can’t believe how much better I feel,” she said.  

More information about bromine toxicity can be found in my book, Iodine: Why You Need It, Why You Can’t Live Without It, 4th Edition. Furthermore, I devoted a whole newsletter (Dr.  Brownstein's Natural Way to Health) to bromine.  For more information on my newsletter please go to:  http://w3.newsmax.com/newsletters/brownstein/bromine.cfm?PROMO_CODE=8988-1

I have treated many patients for bromine toxicity.  In fact, it is the number one toxic element that I find in the majority of my patients.  Bromine toxicity can be treated with a combination of nutrients such as iodine and salt. 
One statement I would make to those who are ill with chemical sensitivities:  Don’t give up. You can overcome your illness by detoxifying and supporting the body’s normal physiologic function.   Detoxification can be accomplished safely and effectively with a variety of natural substances.  Appropriate pre- and post- testing can help guide the detoxification process.    

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home