Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Who Does The F.D.A. Work For? Not Us!

Unbelievable. The headline in today’s New York Times reads, "F.D.A. Deems Mercury Level in Fillings Safe". The article states that F.D.A. believes that silver dental fillings containing mercury are safe for use by adults and children ages six and above. The F.D.A. claimed they reviewed more than 200 scientific studies to make the conclusion "...that mercury vapor released by the filling was not enough to cause brain damage". Furthermore, the F.D.A. states that mercury released from the fillings will not harm patients. I say, they need to look at the hundreds of other studies showing the toxicity of mercury.


Mercury is the third most toxic element known to mankind. I don't care if the F.D.A. looked at 2,000 studies to make the same conclusion. It is ludicrous to assume you can put a toxic substance (i.e., mercury) in someone's mouth and assume it will be safe.


How much mercury is in a dental filling? Each mercury fillings contains approximately 50% mercury by weight. It is estimated that from 3.8-21ug of mercury from fillings per day is absorbed, depending on the number of fillings, amount of teeth grinding, amount of hot liquids ingested and other factors. (Nat. Acad. of Sc. 2000. Toxic. Effects of Methyl mercury).


How much mercury is safe? That is an easy question to answer--no amount of mercury is safe. In fact, the amount of mercury absorbed from amalgam fillings is 60 times higher than the United Nation's recommendation on a safe exposure level for mercury. (Env. Toxic. 2003. March).


It is clear that the F.D.A. does not work for us, the citizens of this great country. The F.D.A. works for and is controlled by corporate interests. You cannot depend on the F.D.A.'s recommendations to guide you in your health care decisions. You must educate yourself and come to your own conclusions.


Mercury is a toxic substance. It needs to be avoided at all costs. It does not make common sense or scientific sense to put mercury anything in someone's mouth. If your dentist still uses mercury fillings, find a new one.


I will be writing more about this topic in my Natural way to Health Newsletter (more information on this newsletter can be found at www.brownsteinhealth.com/3reports. Offer code for the newsletter is: 7AOB-1).








1 Comments:

  • At July 29, 2009 at 10:16 PM , Blogger Debbie said...

    I agree Dr. Brownstein - I had a mercury filling in every one of my molars since I was 13 years old. When I was 31 years old I was suffered from daily headaches with throbbing in my mouth and stiffness in my neck. I found a dentist who agreed that they needed to be removed and replaced with composite fillings. About 8 weeks following the procedures and after taking chlorella everyday I notice my symptoms lessening and eventually dissapearing all together. I am so glad I got them out of my mouth although I am not sure as to whether I got all of the mercury out of my system.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home